About The Course
The Insects is an introduction to insect biology, insect-other organism interactions and insect associations with people. The class features discussion of basic biological principles and concepts using insects as examples. The Insects features a combination of online lectures, hands-on insect activities, selected video clips, and readings and discussion of these topics.
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Describe the characteristics and key biological features of the major arthropod classes.
- Name the orders to which common insects belong.
- Associate key life history characteristics and metamorphosis type with the major orders of insects.
- Describe structural and chemical adaptations insects use to carry out their various vital functions.
- List the roles insects play in different ecological communities.
- Describe the scope of global insect diversity.
- Explain the beneficial and destructive impacts of insects on man.
- Discuss the importance of insects in science, technology, the media, and popular culture.
Satisfied High School Graduation Requirement Subject: Elective